Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Patience, Summer People


Oh, summer people. Always in a hurry. Like the woman who barged in front of me with her cart at the grocery store check-out line the other day. Definitely a summer person. Expensive bag, jewelry glittering at her neck, on her wrist and on most of her fingers, setting off her chic and simple white sundress. Cart filled with expensive cuts of meat and bottles of wine. By way of semi-apology, she said to her husband, but not to me, “I’m in such a hurry today. Some days I just don’t have the patience to wait in line.” Okay.

I waited patiently and checked out behind the summer people. As I pushed my cart out into the parking lot, I noticed a little drama unfolding in the street. Summer woman was standing in the middle of the intersection, talking to a woman in a car that was sideways in the intersection. Summer woman was gesturing with her shiny bejeweled hands, first in one direction and then the other. Then she gestured to the side of the road where another car was pulled over. The other woman pulled her car over and parked behind it. Both women then got out their cell phones and started taking pictures of the vehicles.

As I drove out, I went past the two cars, which had now been joined by a police car. Summer woman continued to gesture, first one direction and then the other, jewelry sparkling in the sun. Apparently summer woman didn’t have the patience to wait her turn in traffic either.

No comments: